No, 2017 did not just slide away for me. Had a lot going on professionally and personally. But the only time that slid away was Dec'17. It was not particularly an amazing year but quite a lot happened.
Coming back to this post, I found some amazing products this year. Some even HG material. May/May not be new. Nonetheless these are stuff I'm definitely dragging along to 2018. And hoping to god these won't get discontinued.
To start off this series with Skincare, these are some products that stood out and really worked for and on my troubled oily/sensitive skin. Starting of 2017 I started getting these random acne quite frequently and by July, it was a full blast on both my cheeks. I discovered (read online and little inquisition), there's usually a hormonal change in early 30s in both men and women. Some go through mental change (like depression for instance) and for others like me, it is very visually apparent.
A tip: If you are facing sudden acne when there has been no change in your lifestyle or eating habits. And if acne or pimples appear in clusters mostly on the lower half of your face, namely- cheeks, chin, it's most likely hormonal.
Now the problem with hormonal acne is that since it happens due to hormonal disbalance, it will completely cure only when the hormones chill out and get back to their normal self. Always visit a dematologist to get a correct opinion. The docs do prescribe some meds which can get your hormones back to normal.
If you are like me, and don't want to take any meds (especially with the wierd side effects) then it's hard way out and that is to wait it out...
I know that does not sound like a solution but trust me it is. It's better not to irk it even more. But what we can do is try to soothe it and speed it's process.
So here's a list of products after tons of trial and error (God knows the horror!) that have worked for me and shown some immediate positive results.
1. Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam (Rs.650/- for 150ml) - To be honest, I have used a 20ml deluxe sample of this, which lasted me for over 15 days. You only a teeny amount of this. And it's perfect. Lathers into a creamy foam. Does not dry the skin and yet cleans it well. This does not claim to work on acne but somehow I do see a difference after using this. Unlike other face cleansers (namely La Roche Posay and Kaya) this did seem to soothe my active acne. I plan to buy the full size tube immediately.
2. Biotique Bio Cucumber Pore Tightening Toner (Rs.175/- for 120ml) - Already on my 3rd bottle... Period. #HolyGrail
Ohh I prefer this over The Body Shop Aloe Toner and Kaya Purifying Toner.
3. Biotique Bio Myristica Spot Correcting Anti Acne Face Pack for Oily and Acne prone skin (Rs.199/- for 20 gms) - Review coming up soon. #HolyGrail
4. Kama Ayurveda Nimrah Anti-Acne Face pack (Rs.1098/- for 40gms) - A product that definitely works. I need to use it more regularly. Out of sheer laziness and forgetfulness, I don't use it religiously. I like to use this with The Kama Ayurveda Vetiver water. I apply the paste on the affected area. After it is dry, apply some water on it and scrub using very soft pressure and then rinse it off. The skin instantly feels softer and smoother and more glowy. I'll recommend this for all those who have oily skin with or without acne.
5. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate (Rs.3950/- for 30ml) - It's been a saviour this winter for my acne filled face! The problem with anti-acne products is that it dries up your face. Then again most winter based products (which are typically heavy creams) don't work on a face filled with active acne. This light oil has helped my skin keep in the moisture intact and work along with all the drying anti-acne products I used on my skin. Definitely reviewing it separately.
6. Kiehl's Breakout Control Acne Treatment Facial Lotion (Rs.4250/- for 60ml) - Completely burnt a hole in my pocket but I have to say it works.
7. Lacto Calamine for Normal to Oily Skin - An oldie but a goldie. A must have for everyone.
8. The Face Shop Jeju Aloe Fresh Soothing Gel in tube (Rs.390/- for 300ml) - A pure Aloe gel. I generally use this in place of a serum. During summers, this acts as my moisturizer too. Works well to soothe my rashes or irritated skin and balance the Ph of my skin. A huge ass tube which lasts forever. Is also available in a tub form but a tube is much more hygeinic and travel friendly. Although it'll be a pain to get out the entire product when it's about to finish. Has very easily replaced The Body Shop Aloe gel. Triple the quantity in half the price. Works the same. Go figure!
9. The Body Shop Lip Butter in Shea Butter (Rs.250/- for 8.9gm) - The only thing that works on my dead chapped lips. This and TBS Vitamin E Lip balm!
10. Dear Packer Sheet Masks (Rs.100/- per mask) - Loved using these! The Lavender+Argan Oil, Coconut and Anti Acne ones are my personal faves. My skin feels really smooth and nourished the next day. (I usually put on a mask before sleeping for 15 mins). A win since The face Shop sheet masks were such a fail for me.